Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Laughter is the best medicine

Well this is what I have discovered. I have been thinking about it a lot because I can't remember where I was now, but I made my white whale comment and giggled about it (I LOVE white t shirts, but they aren't so slimming:D) which is why I often refer to myself as the white whale, oh and I am white:D Anyway this is how I cope with something that often gets me down, it only really gets me down when someone points out ( i think I may have been at work) that I shouldn't say that or its not true, well truth be told I am not a whale I am just overweight, which is a problem half of America faces these days, but to me to be able to say it just makes it a little easier for me to decide to conquer, now if someone else calls me the white whale, it might be a different story, but I was talking with a friend tonight, who got ganged up on at work, because like me she uses jokes to deal it lightens the load and it makes it easier for us to feel ok. It doesn't mean we are depressed and it doesn't mean that we hate ourselves, although it couldn't hurt if we did it less and believe me we both realize this. I have a little boy at home and I have to watch what I say around him because whether the girl is thin or fat what matters most is whats on the inside, because some thin girls are nasty and some fat girls are too. I don't want him to judge a girl solely on the "cover" so to speak (unless that cover has some coverage issues, then its ok to walk away!) but if I remain negative in speaking of myself even if it is in jest, he may not get it, he may think I truly hate my body like all the good meaning people out there, who are tryin to change me:D So since Amy was inspired to point that out to me, that what I was joking about around her boys would have an influence I decided to make a valiant effort to not joke about it so much, and that maybe if I have to put a positive spin on it, like there is more of me to love! However what matters most is my hubby thinks I am pretty, and he loves me the way I is, however when I got off the elliptical yesterday and had made it to 25 minutes and was so overjoyed about it, he laughed and said "way to go!" it made me feel a little silly, but of course that didn't stop me from texting the man who made it possible:D And the phrase must be a man phrase because that is what he responded with as well! By the by Pops I am down 3 pounds this week, and I just started! Anyway all I ask is that I can continue to laugh and hope to continue to improve my health so that I can play longer and harder with my kiddo and the kids to come. Because that is where the best laughter happens!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Isn't that the truth!

btw I never thought of how joking about myself might affect my children's views of themselves and others. That is great insight!

I am trying to instill in my kids that it's not what we weigh it's whether or not we are healthy.

Stacey said...

Your amazing! Keep up the great work!

Jen said...

I love it Allie! Truly LOVE this post! Thanks for sharing!!!!